Anteverted Uterus: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment
An anteverted uterus is a natural condition and it is very normal. It simply means the uterus or womb is tilted forward at the cervix towards the front of the abdomen.
The uterus is the most important organ of the female reproductive system. It plays a vital role during pregnancy and menstruation. The uterus is also called the womb. It is attached to the walls of the pelvis by flexible ligaments that allows it to tilt forward and backward.
In this article, you will learn more about an anteverted uterus.
Recommended Products for Fibroid and Infections:
What Is An Anteverted Uterus
There are two abnormal positions of the uterus, one is the anteverted and the other is the retroverted. The uterus is said to be anteverted when the uterus is tilted towards the front of the abdomen while it is said to be repaired when the uterus is tilted backwards.
The anteverted uterus is a common condition in women. It commonly occasionally in about 70% of women and it is perfectly normal. An anteverted uterus does no affect a woman in anyway. It does not affect the structure of the uterus and it is not an abnormality or a healthy problem.
If you have an anteverted uterus, you may not even know.
Causes Of An Anteverted Uterus
There are several causes of anteverted uterus which includes;
1. Endometriosis which is a condition were the tissue laying on the inside of the uterus develops on the outside. This causes a tilt forward position of the uterus.
2. Women who have caeserean delivery may have a uterine tilt.
3. Pregnancy can altar the shape of the uterus, causing it to tilt forward.
Symptoms Of Anteverted Uterus
An anteverted uterus does not have any specific symptom. You might not know you have an anteverted uterus. However, you may notice the following symptoms in rare cases where the condition is severe and the uterus is titled too further;
1. Pain in your back during menstruation.
2. Pain in your ovarian region during ovulation.
3. Abdominal pain during menstruation.
4. Constipation during and after menstruation.
5. A four-smelling discharge during menstruation.
How Can An Anteverted Uterus Be Diagnosed
This is the usual of sound waves to create sonogram images of the abdomen on the screen. By this, the Doctor gets to analyze the image on the screen to know whether the uterus is tilted or not.
2. Pelvic Examination
The Doctor gets to touch and feel the uterus, the pelvic region, the ovaries and the abdomen to know if the uterus is tilted or not. A pelvic examination may include all of some of these;
a. Vulval Examination: This is the examination to check the genitals for evidence of external bleeding or signs of infection.
b. Spectrum Examination: In this examination, a medical instrument is increased to allow the Doctor examine the vagina and cervix.
c. Bimanual Palpation: In this examination, a Doctor will use their finger to examine the inside of the vagina or feel if the womb or ovaries are tender or enlarged.
Does Anteverted Uterus Have Any Negative Impact On Fertility
The problem of infertility can be a serious problem with the male or female reproductive system or both. An anteverted uterus is normal and cannot be the cause of infertility.
However, in rare cases, the position of the uterus has little effect on the capacity of sperm to reach an egg and have it fertilized. A highly tilted uterus may obstruct the process.
Other things that can affect a woman’s fertility includes;
- Problems with ovulation
- Problems with the fallopian tubes
- An infection
- Scar tissue
- Chronic illness
- A uterine birth abnormality
- A previous ectopic (tubal) pregnancy.
Does Anteverted Uterus have A Negative Effect On Pregnancy
They forward tilt of the uterus does not affect a woman’s ability to get pregnant neither does it create problems during pregnancy or delivery. However, a pregnant woman with an anteverted uterus must get an early pregnancy check up or a uterine examination.
This will help you know the state of the anteverted uterus and the difficulties that it may cause. If a pregnant woman has a uterus that is tilted beyond a particular point, she may experience pains and discomfort during urination.
A pregnant woman with anteverted uterus might have a visible baby bump sooner than expected. It is important for her to see her gynecologist if she experience abdominal or back pain.
Does Anteverted Uterus Affect Sex Life
Absolutely no! It does not in anyway affect your sexual life or sexual health.
You can have sex anytime you want even with an anteverted uterus.
Treatment For Anteverted Uterus
There are no medical treatment required because an anteverted uterus as earlier said is not a health problem. However, you can take the following steps to have a healthy life with an anteverted uterus.
The steps mentioned below is not medically probably and might not work for all women so you have to seek consultation for your Doctor before you do the following;
1. Relax The Pelvis
- Lay flat on a mat with your back towards the ground and your arms by your side.
- Take a deep slow breath and lift your hips sane time about an inch above the ground.
- Maintain this position for about 5 seconds before exhaling and slowly returning to the ground.
- Repeat this exercise about 5 more times.
2. Knee To Chest Exercise
- Lay flat on a mat with your back towards the ground and knee bent.
- With the help of your two hands, slowly lift up one of your knee and bring it close to your chest.
- Maintain this position for 10 to 15 seconds and release your knee back to it bent position.
- Repeat same with the other knee, one at a time.
It is important to know that an anteverted uterus is a normal condition and should not be considered as a health problem. It does not affect you in anyway. It does not have any role to play in your sex life, in pregnancy and in fertility.
However, it is necessary to visit your Doctor if you have an anteverted uterus for a medical check up.