Cancer: Types, causes, symptoms, prevention & Treatment
Cancer Prevention and more!! Cancer is one of the dreaded disease in the world. Cancer is a disease caused by abnormal and uncontrolled cellular growth in the body.
Facts About Cancer
Over 100 types of cancer have been discovered
Cancer can affect any part of the body.
Statistics shows that over 2,000,000(two million) cancer cases is diagnosed yearly which most of them can be prevented by taking safety precautions.
The risk of cancer increases with increase in age.
In 2013 approximately 580,350 (five hundred and eighty thousand, three hundred and fifty) Americans died of cancer. Cancer is the second most cause of death in the U.S.
Moreover, children also contact cancer. In 2013 estimated number of 11,630 (eleven thousand six hundred and thirty) cancer cases was reported among children.
Therefore we have to be conscious of our cancer status and take precautions in preventing it.
Common Types of Cancer
- Cervical Cancer: Cervical cancer is caused by contacting Human papillomavirus or HPV during sexual intercourse. It is formed in the cervix
- Breast Cancer: This is the most common diagnosed type of cancer in women, breast cancer is formed in the cells of the breast
- Colon Cancer: This is formed at the colon or rectum
- Prostate Cancer: This type of cancer is formed in the prostate of a man
- Basal Cell Cancer: This is a skin cancer formed in the basal tissue
- Leukemia: This is a cancer of the white blood cells formed in the white blood forming tissue
- Skin Cancer: This include melanoma formed on the cells of the skin
- Lung Cancer: formed in the human lungs
- Lymphoma: formed in the lymphatic system of the human body.
Common Causes of Cancer
- Exposure of the body to radioactive rays
- Eating of fries
- Exposure of the body to radiating light rays
- Eating of sugar
- Eating hot food in a plastic container or hot tea or fries in a leather bag
Symptoms of Cancer
- Bumps or swells on the neck, armpits, private part
- Blood in bowels, bleeding after menopause or blood in cough or urine
- Sweating at night
- Pneumonia persisting up to two times a year
- Persistent heartburn which may cause pains while swallowing or disturbances in the esophagus
- Weight loss
- An ovarian cancer patient usually experience abdominal pressure or stomach bloating
- Mouth and tongue sores that are difficult to heal
- Moles and spots of different sizes and spots on the skin
Natural Ways of Cancer Prevention
Develop the onion Eating Habit: Onion is one of the vegetable that helps to prevent cancer, it contains antioxidants that help to slow down or inhibit the growth of cancerous cells. Aside from onions other vegetables that contains antioxidants are shallots, pungent yellow, western yellow and Northern red. You can also take antioxidant rich supplement like Natural Beta Carotene.
Always Drink Green Tea: One of the compound discovered in green tea is the EGCG which contains high level of antioxidant which helps to reduce the risk of breast, ovarian, prostate, colon and lung cancer.
Eat Fish Regularly: Fish helps to prevent polyps and tissues growth in the colon which causes cancer in women. Fishes such as salmon, mackerel, sardines, tuna, halibut contains anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids which helps in fighting against cancer in the body.
It helps to fight against blood cancers leukemia, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and myeloma and also reduce the risk of endometrial cancer in women. Other sea foods such as shrimps and scallops also inhibits the risk of cancer in the body.
Eat meat with low Fatty Contents: Red meats and meats with high saturated fat content increases the risk of cancer in the body. It is advisable to eat meats with low-fat such as poultry meat or fish instead of feeding on pork meat. Also prevent the use of butter instead use substitute product like olive oil.
Regular Eating of Red Grape: Red grape contains antioxidants called resveratrol that can slow down cancer growth in the lymph nodes, in the breast, in the stomach and in the liver and can also prevent skin damage. Also, the bark of grapes contains this antioxidant, always try to eat it.
Milk also help to Prevent Cancer: Milk contains calcium which help to reduce the risk of colon cancer by 45%. Take a cup of 345 mg low fat yogurt after breakfast, during lunch take upto 300mg of low-fat milk, after your dinner in the evening take a 292 mg cup of spinach with salad.
Eat Kiwi Fruit: Kiwi is a fruit, it contains cancer fighting antioxidants, it also contains vitamin C and vitamin E good for the skin and also contains lutein and copper.
Eat Cruciferous Vegetables: Cruciferous vegetables includes cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy. These veggies help to prevent kidney cancer and should be taken at least once a week.
Posses a Garlic Eating Habit: Garlic contains allyl sulfur compounds that stimulates the immune system thereby helping it to fight against cancer in the body.
READ ALSO: Garlic Health Benefits for men
Eating Brazil Nut: Brazil nuts contains selenium, a trace mineral found in soil that terminates cancerous cells and helps cells repair their DNA.
Other ways of Cancer Prevention
- Marinet your meat: By marinating meat we mean soaking meat in beer or wine or alcoholic liquid for few hours before cooking which helps to reduce the amount of the harmful substance that causes cancer. You can also rub a cut of kiwifruit on the meat to help prevent harmful cancer-causing agents.
- Always take little alcoholic drinks on occasions as it helps to inhibit cancerous growth
- Exposure to light at night can increase the risk of breast cancer in women therefore it is advisable to sleep in a dark room at night.
- Always put out clothes washed by dry cleaners outside before wearing them. This is to help prevent the effect of the chemicals that they use when washing which can cause cancer on the body.
- Always avoid eating fries and chips and feed on boiled and mashed foods.
- Avoid rubbing tans and lotions then exposing the skin to the rays of the sun as this can cause skin cancer and if you must use, let it be that you are not exposing the skin to the UV rays of the sun.
- Avoid sexual activities as this can lead to cervical cancer and if you must do avoid multiple sex partners and practice safe sex.
- Ladies avoid using drying lamps at the salon.
- Always try to stand more and sit less
- Avoid sugary contents
- For women; avoid using black bra when walking under the sun as the black colour absorbs the UV rays leading to cancerous growth in the breast
- Avoid using soap on the vagina while bathing as it can cause vaginal cancer
- Make use of ceramic cups while drinking hot tea
- Use stainless plate to eat hot food
- Avoid standing close to network masts
Medical ways of Treating Cancer
- Cancer can be treated medically by surgery
- Use of chemotherapy; most chemotherapy have side effects but they also function by killing cancerous cells in the body.
- By stem cell transplant. Stem cells are found in animals but if you eat apple it can also replace but in a little capacity.
- Use of radioactive rays to kill cancer by radiation
- Use or hormone therapy helps to stop or slow down the growth of breast cancer and prostate cancer.
- Use of precision medicine.
Tags: breast cancer, Cancer Prevention, Types of Cancer