Surprising Health Benefits of Carrots
Health Benefits of carrots and more. Carrot is one of the appealing fruit in the society. The name carrot was derived from a greek word karoton, Carrot has a conic shape and it is mostly reddish in colour although carrots also have other colours such like orange, yellow, white and purple they also come in different species.
Carrot is known to be the second popular vegetable after potato. Carrot is one of the root and tuber crop, it is classified under vegetables.
Moreover, the common type of carrot mostly eaten is the domesticated form of the wild species. Carrot is grown in the Northern part of Nigeria because of their fertile soil. Although majority of carrots are cultivated in China and being exported to different part of the world.
The scientific name of carrot is DAUCUS CAROTA. Carrots is eaten when it is ripe, the part of the carrot that can be eaten is the tab root. Most at times, the greenish part is used in preparing salad and other vegetable dishes.
Statistic shows that an average American eats up to 12 pounds of carrot annually.
Carrot is unique, carrot produces a natural pesticide called FALCARINOL.
Also, most animals like rabbits also feed on these wonderful fruit and it also has good effects in them.
However, carrot has been discovered not just as a fruit to be but it consists of various content that serves as vaccines and medication for the body system.
Check out the contents of carrot in their proportion
Carrot contains a lot of nutrients in their different proportions, most of them are measured in grams (g), milligrams (mg), micro grams etc. In every 100grams of carrot the following nutrients are found;
Carrot contents measured in grams
88.29% value of water
2.8% value of fiber
4.74% value of sugar
0.93% value of protein
0.24% value of fat
9.58% value of carbohydrate
0.03% value of fatty acid (complete saturation)
0.01% value of fatty acid (completely monounsaturated)
0.1% value of fatty acid (completely poly-saturated)
0% value fatty acids
Carrot contents measured in milligrams
33% value of calcium
0.3% value of iron
320 value of potassium
35% value of phosphorus
69% value of sodium
0.24% value of zinc
5.9% value of vitamin C
0.07% of thiamin
0.06% value of Riboflavin
0.98% value of niacin
0.14% value of vitamin B-6
0.66% value of Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
0% value of cholesterol
Carrot contents measured in micro grams
19% value of folate,DFE
0% value of vitamin B-12
835 value of vitamin A, AE
13.2% value of vitamin K known as phylloquinone
0% value of vitamin D (D2 + D3)
Other contents in carrots measured in UI are
16706% value of Vitamin A
0% value of Vitamin D
Health Benefits of Carrots to the Body
The health benefits of carrots are mostly attributed to the fibre content and the beta-carotene content.
The following are the various benefits of carrot to the body.
- Carrot helps to improve eye sight; this is as a result of the presence of the carotene which is converted to vitamin A which is good for the eye. This is about the one of the main health benefits of carrots you may not have known.
- It also helps to fight against heart disease; carrot contains alpha and beta carotene as well as lutein which lowers the risk of heart disease and cancer. The fiber in carrots helps to boost heart health by eliminating excess LOL cholesterol from the walls of arteries and other blood vessels.
- It reduces high blood pressure: carrot contains coumarin which helps to reduce hypertension and helps the heart to function properly. Also, the potassium content in carrots helps to relax the tension in blood vessels (the arteries, veins and capillaries) thereby helping proper blood flow and circulation in the body. Potassium in carrots also boost organ functions in the body and reduces cardiovascular stress.
- Carrots also boost the performance of the immune system; carrot contains antiseptics and antibacterial contents that helps to boost the immune system.
- It also help in digestive health: carrot contains fibers in their roots. This fiber helps in maintaining a good digestive health in the human body. It helps to in hardening stools which makes it to pass freely through the digestive tract in the human body.
- Moreover, fibers in carrots help to stimulate peristaltic motion and the secretion of gastric juice which helps to slow down constipation and protects the colon as well as the stomach from infections including colon cancer.
- Carrot also prevents macular degeneration, an age-related eye disease. Vision Vitale Capsules also effectively prevents Macular degeneration.
- It reduces the risk of stroke; research has shown that people that consume up to 5 carrots a week are less likely to suffer from stroke.
- Carrot contains beta-carotene nutrient, continuous consumption of this nutrient helps to prevent lung cancer.
- The carotene pigment acts as an antioxidant in the body which helps to retain the body cells and slows down aging.
- It also promote healthy skin as a result because of its anti-oxidizing property and the presence of vitamin A
- It protects teeth and gums because of it alkaline properties
- Carrots helps to prevent infection
- Helps in controlling diabetes; carotenes offer resistance to insulin in the body thereby lowering the blood sugar causing resistance to diabetes. This is another important health benefits of carrots.
In summary all of the above are the health benefits of carrots.
How is Carrot ready for Consumption
Carrot can be made ready for consumption in the following ways;
- By eating it in it raw state
- By cooking
- By grinding
- By slicing
- By piercing
Research shows that cooking, grinding or piercing carrot before consumption increases it carotene content by 600%.
How Carrot is Used
- Can be used in preparation of salad by slicing it into smaller portions and mixing with other vegetables.
- Used in making carrot cake
- Use as recipes
- Use as fruit
- Carrot flakes
- Carrot can also be used for making juice by blending it and collecting the liquid content of it, other fruits like orange, pineapple, water melon is usually added to spice it up.
- Use as vaccine and as medicine for preventing various forms of infections and diseases.